Sunday, December 5, 2010

String Tutorial / Stash Report

Stash Report First:
  • Used (as in Finished) this week: (13.25)
  • Used To Date: (383.10)
  • Purchased this week: 4
  • Purchased Year To Date: 281.90
  • Net Busted: (101.20)!!!!! 2010 Goal of 100 yards.

For more Stash Reports, visit Judy at "Patchwork Times".

Paper Foundation - String Tutorial

Tutorial for quilters who hate tearing all those little pieces of paper from string piecing. I no longer cringe when I see "using a paper foundation" in pattern instructions. Update: I cut my strings as I go, so the paper foundation is an important tool acting as the square ruler. I lay the string across the foundation and scissor trim before sewing.

Step 1: Cut your paper foundation to the desired size -- I keep a stash of 6.5" squares of newspaper on the side of my machine. You will not need to change the stitch length, you will not need a larger needle using this method.



Step 2: Sew the first two strings to the center of the paper foundation -- THIS WILL BE THE ONLY TIME YOU SEW THE STRINGS TO THE PAPER FOUNDATION.

Step 3: Line up the next string on the foundation, but before sewing --- fold back the paper. Continue sewing the strings on both side, lightly finger pressing (no iron needed until done) -- each time you fold back the foundation paper to sew another string, it will make the removal that much easier.

Step 4: When you are done, press with an iron to flaten.

Step 5: Trim from the back using the "one and only diagonal foundation stitch" to line up your ruler.



Step 6: Now remove the TWO pieces of paper and you are done.




16 comments:

Teaquilts said...

Great idea Jamie - I don't piece too many string blocks on the diagonal because I don't want to tear all the paper in the end.

Jo said...

I might try this..

Judy D in WA said...

Congratulations~~100 yards net goal reached!!! That's amazing! But more amazing is your total used. :)

Great tutorial. I'll give that a try today as I work on my string blocks. Good timing.

Kathie said...

Wow congratulations on the 100 yards, that is quite an accomplishment.

Vicky said...

You've had a fantastic year! Congrats!

Kate said...

Congratulations for exceeding your goals! Hope you find time to celebrate!

Angie said...

Jamie, thank you for the tutorial, but if you only sew on the paper once, what purpose does the paper serve? I must be missing the point of using the paper. Is it your first stabilizer? or it helps with the first diagonal strip? I personally sew string quilt strips to 10.5 square pieces of cheap muslin, square to 9.5, and leave the muslin intact. So, your technique is intriguing to me. Could you please comment more about the reason for the paper. Thanks.

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

Thanks Angie -- I have added an update which explains the importance of the paper foundation acting as my square ruler through the process.

Judy D in WA said...

I tried it Jamie, and it works great. Thanks for sharing! I only have 54 more blocks to make. :)

Tamera said...

That's very clever!

Anna said...

oh this is genius!!! thank you for sharing - I'm going to print this and save it and share it with all my friends :-)

Becky said...

I love this idea for string blocks. I don't make them because of all the paper, but this really makes sense. Congratulations on reaching you 100+ yard goal. Way to go!!

Carol G said...

This is a fabulous idea. I usually avoid paper piecing but this is just perfect. It would work with the spiderweb pattern also.

Angie @ CraftedAngles said...

Wow - cleaver idea using the newspapper. That is great that you don't have to remember changing the stitch length.

Angie - www.craftedAngles.com

JJ said...

That was a great idea, I am going to have to try it. Thanks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an interesting idea! It would have saved me SEW much time on my last big string project a few years ago. Oh, well, there will always be the NEXT string quilt!!