Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday Design Wall

The "Tie Inspired" quit top is done, using scraps of 2" strips in Green, Blue and Red. The border used up the last of the neutral and will be added to the charity quilts for our local guild, Cane Cutters.

I really like how the top came out, so I started another one. Remember the Moda Layer Cake and yardage I picked up at the GSQA Quilt Show (from the Quilting Niche'). The collection is by Chez Moi, called "Boutique". The 10" squares are perfect for cutting 2" strips and making the 5" blocks needed for the larger block.

A confession, this is the first time I have actually purchased a layer cake. It makes sense! I now have a slice of every fabric from the line - which satisfies my "scrappy" obsessions. Playing this game for this top, I have been picking three squares from the top, slicing the 2" strips, and NOT peeking at the next set. It has become a total surprise at how the next set blocks will be.

I am working on the pattern for this top and will share on this site very soon. If you have an over-flowing bin of 2" strips -- this pattern will work.





For more Design Walls, jump over to Judy's site at Patchwork Times -- I am heading there now!



8 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Hi, my name is Judy and I have an overflowing 2" strip bin. :-) Can't wait for the pattern!

Love both quilts!!! What a fun way to use up a layer cake. I've never bought one but I think I may need to.

Chris said...

Beware! Layer cakes are addicting!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I like both of those tops!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What pretty quilts! Looking forward to the pattern....what size does it finish?

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the pattern! 2" strips AND 5" squares AND 10" squares...yep, I've got them all!

Melinda said...

Great quilt - I will be looking for the pattern.

Cherie in St Louis said...

I've been watching your progress and love the results! I like the previous tie inspired quilt too :)

Elizabeth said...

You are such a busy girl. I'm so impressed with your productivity! The first one is so beautiful. I love the colors and the second one is so pretty too!